Q: My husband and I were driving to Truckee last week, making great time on Interstate 80 when all of a sudden we hit a parking lot of traffic near Colfax due to an oil spill that went for 23 miles.

Dianne Vernon, Cloverdale

A: And …

Q: There were no CHP officers on hand, but there were hundreds of cars and trucks backed up almost to Auburn.

We were stuck for over three hours. It was worse than blizzard traffic we have been stuck in. The highway patrol was turning people at Applegate, but it was too late for most of us. I don’t understand how the CHP could be so lax in getting out there to turn people around. It was a terrible situation.

Dianne Vernon

A: This oil spill spanned approximately 23 miles on I-80 east from Colfax to Blue Canyon. Conditions were unsafe, and to avoid any more traffic collisions the roadway was closed.

The CHP activated the Changeable Message Signs and alternative routes of travel were put in place. Gold Run CHP and Truckee CHP posted on their social media accounts warning of the closure and provided information on alternative routes. All available staff from the following CHP areas responded to assist: Auburn, Gold Run, Donner Pass, and Truckee.

Multiple agencies responded to assist with the scene and clean up — Caltrans, Fire, and Placer County Environmental Health. The Nevada Highway Patrol also assisted.

Q: On the beautiful morning of the first day of summer, I was driving on a rural road in San Luis Obispo County when I had a head-on collision with a deer (a  young buck with a full rack). I drifted as far as I could to the side of the road and stopped.

As I was stunned and sitting in my car, the first man who stopped asked if I was OK. I said yes but that my car wasn’t. He drove away without a word. The second man slowed down but didn’t stop. The third man stopped long enough to yell, “You can’t park here. Get off the road!”

I got out to survey the damage, which was extensive. There was no cell service to call a tow truck, but with my adrenaline pumping, I managed to pull the bumper far enough away from the tire to drive very slowly 10 miles into the nearest town.

I could have been your wife or mother or even grandmother (I am 63), and no help was offered.

Was it COVID-19 or just not wanting to get involved?

Susan Tonus, Oakland 

A: Maybe both, unfortunately. I’m impressed that you got your car moving, despite all the damage.

Join Gary Richards for an hourlong chat noon Wednesday at www.mercurynews.com/live-chats. Look for Gary at Facebook.com/mr.roadshow or contact him at mrroadshow@bayareanewsgroup.com or 408-920-5335.